Accessibility statement for Statistics Finland Finna
This accessibility statement applies to the Statistics Finland Finna web service.
Statistics Finland Finna is a web service by which data can be searched for in the Library of Statistics' collections. The service runs on the Finna platform developed by the National Library of Finland. The National Library is responsible for the accessibility of the Finna code, and Statistics Finland is responsible for the accessibility of the changes to the user interface, contents and materials.
We have assessed the accessibility of the service ourselves.
The accessibility statement was prepared on 15 September 2020.
How accessible is Statistics Finland Finna?
Statistics Finland Finna is partially compliant with the A and AA level accessibility criteria required by law (WCAG criteria 2.1).
What deficiencies are there in the accessibility of Statistics Finland Finna?
- In the search results, the text alternatives of the publications’ cover images are deficient. (WCAG 1.1.1)
- The use of heading levels is not consistent throughout the website. (WCAG 1.3.1)
- Enlarging the text size does not work on all browsers. When the text is resized, some of the content is not properly visible. (WCAG 1.4.4)
- The focus does not stand out sufficiently and it is not visible in all sections. (WCAG 1.4.11, 2.4.7)
- When something is written in the search box, a list of search result suggestions opens, but no information is conveyed to the assistive device user. In some situations, the list remains on top of the search results and it cannot be closed. (WCAG 1.4.13, 2.1.1, 4.1.2, 4.1.3)
- In some old articles the link texts of the web data are not descriptive. (WCAG 2.4.4)
- The search in Statistics Finland Finna is directed at the library collection, but the website does not have a search directed at the Statistics Finland Finna pages or a site map. (WCAG 2.4.5)
- The text visible on the cookies consent button differs from the name of the button. (WCAG 2.5.3)
- The main language of the pages is correctly marked but the library material is also described in other languages, and the language of these descriptions is not marked. (WCAG 3.1.2)
- Selecting an element from the list of search result suggestions or search result organising menus will reload the page without prior warning to the user. (WCAG 3.2.2)
We aim to correct these deficiencies in cooperation with the Finna office of the National Library.
The data of Statistics Finland Finna contain many PDF files which are not entirely accessible. Most of these PDF files were published before 23 September 2018 and the Act (Act on the Provision of Digital Services, Section 17, Paragraph 2) is not applied to data published before that.
The data published in the service by Statistics Finland contain manifestations from the cultural heritage collection, which are not subject to the Act in case they cannot be converted into a format that meets the accessibility requirements (Act on the Provision of Digital Services, Section 3, Paragraph 2, Sub-paragraph 7). The publications which are manifestations of the cultural heritage collection are not accessible and it is not possible to convert them into accessible format.
In terms of other publications covered by the Act, Statistics Finland cannot convert publications into accessible format due to the large volume of data and lack of cost-effective and automated methods, as it would become an unreasonable burden (Act on the Provision of Digital Services, Section 8). Statistics Finland aims to take accessibility requirements into account better in future releases.
Did you notice any other deficiencies in accessibility?
If you notice any deficiencies in the accessibility of Statistics Finland Finna that are not listed on this page, please let us know about it. We will do our best to correct the deficiencies and, if necessary, we will be in contact with the National Library, which develops the platform.
You can give feedback on accessibility with this form. Select Accessibility as the topic for the feedback.
You can also give us feedback by email, firstname.lastname@example.org. If you want to give feedback by telephone, call Statistics Finland's information services, tel. +358 29 551 2220.
We will respond to your feedback as soon as possible or within two weeks at the latest.
Accessibility supervision at the Regional State Administrative Agency for Southern Finland
If you notice accessibility problems on the website, start by giving feedback to us, that is, the website administrator. Receiving a response may take 14 days.
If you are not satisfied with the response from us or if you do not receive any response within two weeks, you may file a report with the Regional State Administrative Agency for Southern Finland. The agency website has detailed instructions (in Finnish and Swedish only) on how to file a complaint and how the issue will be processed.
Supervisory authority’s contact information
Regional State Administrative Agency for Southern Finland
Accessibility supervision unit
Accessibility requirements web service (in Finnish and Swedish only): www.saavutettavuusvaatimukset.fi
telephone number (switchboard) +358 295 016 000